selfupdate is broken

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue May 15 10:30:02 PDT 2007

James Berry wrote:

> On May 10, 2007, at 7:44 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>
>> It seems that selfupdate got broken:
>>
>> prunille:~> sudo port -d selfupdate
>> DEBUG: Rebuilding the MacPorts base system if needed.
>> Synchronizing from file:///Users/vinc17/wd/macosx/dports
>> DEBUG: /opt/local/bin/svn update --non-interactive
>> "/Users/vinc17/wd/macosx/dports"
>>
>> It shouldn't update *my* SVN working copy. It was previously updating
>> the standard path (?) with rsync. I suppose that it takes the paths
>> from /opt/local/etc/ports/sources.conf, which contains here:
>>
>> file:///Users/vinc17/wd/macosx/dports
>> file:///Users/vinc17/software/dports
>> rsync://rsync.macports.org/dpupdate/dports
>>
>> But I use this for port installation only.
>
> As Ryan points out, this was a change in 1.4.40. Clearly whoever made
> the change did not anticipate the problem you're having with it. We'd
> love to hear your suggestions for what the proper behavior should be in
> this case. What if the behavior was:
>
>     - Update the first sources.conf directory found that either (1) is
> an rsync url, or (2) is a valid svn repository.
>
> Would that rule fix things for you?
>
> James

And it also doesn't work if you have a MacPorts install with everything
deactivated, which I do so I can commit the binary build into a
Subversion repository (for checking out on many Mac's).

$ port -d -v selfupdate
DEBUG: Rebuilding the MacPorts base system if needed.
Synchronizing from file:///net/homedirs/blair/Code/MacPorts/dports-spi
Synchronizing from
file:///net/homedirs/blair/Code/MacPorts/dports-macports.org
DEBUG: Couldn't sync dports tree: svn command not found
     while executing
"darwinports::selfupdate [array get global_options]"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync dports
tree: svn command not found

Even trying to hack it by doing this fails:

$ /usr/bin/true /tmp/svn
$ PATH=/tmp:$PATH port -d -v selfupdate

Who made these changes?

I don't see anybody working on this.  Can we back out those commits that
did this until it's working fine and reach a consensus on what its
supposed to do, or even if we want it.

Thanks,
Blair