Soliciting feedback on variant description syntax and reporting

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Wed May 16 07:00:51 PDT 2007

to follow up on my solicitation, based on feedback (and/or lack of
other good alternatives), I've decided:

	(1) to keep the variant description syntax:

On May 15, 2007, at 9:09 AM, James Berry wrote:
> The syntax I chose was the following:
>
> 	variant myvariant description "This variant does this and that" {
> 		configure.args-append   --do-this --do-that
> 	}

> Secondly, in order to emit the description in port info, I expanded
> the variant section to show a single variant per line, which makes
> info a bit longer. Please let me know if you like this, or if we
> should limit ourselves to showing variant descriptions in "port
> variants" instead.

	(2) To move output of variant descriptions from "port info" to "port
variants". So "port info" will continue to show which variants you
have, but to find out more about them you'll need to do a "port
variants" too.

If you strongly disagree with any of these actions, please speak up.
The code in trunk currently implements what I've described above.

James