email address anti-spam encoding in portfiles

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Wed May 16 17:12:10 PDT 2007

Following discussion with several of you, and more thought, my
thinking is now:

	(1) Obfuscate plain text email addresses by using the form:

		- tld/domain/username
			user at bar.com ==> com/bar/user

		- if there are multiple components in the hostname, only the dot
before the tld is turned into a slash:
			user at foo.bar.com ==> com/foo.bar/user

		- If the domain/tld is macports.org, then it may be dropped:
			user at macports.org ==> user

		Note that this is machine reversible, and also fairly easy for a
user to produce manually, both of which are important considerations.

	(2) If a Portfile is submitted with a maintainer email address
containing an @, we will accept it as such (this is up to the
submitter/maintainer).
	      We're providing a means by which port maintainers may
obfuscate their address, but not mandating that they do so.

		Note that this is also a machine detectable situation.

	(3) There are a number of other cases in which email addresses may
show up. This doesn't attempt to deal with all of them yet. Small steps.

		Among these are:

			- CIA commit pages
			- Trac commits and perhaps bug reports too
			- Mailing list archives
			- irc logs

If I don't hear any contradictory pleas soon, I'm going to move ahead
with this, perhaps including auto fixing all the portfiles.

James