Buildfarm try

Simon Ruderich simon at ruderich.com
Sun Nov 4 09:53:29 PST 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 01:27:07AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Right. I don't know Ruby or Python and am not planning on learning them at
> this point. Would be unfortunate to introduce yet another language one has
> to learn to contribute to MacPorts. IMHO PHP would be ok, since we already
> use that for the web site. But my opinion may be influenced by the fact that
> I already know PHP very well and already use it for web sites and
> command-line scripts. But Tcl would also be a good choice given the rest of
> the project's source.

Even if I don't know any Tcl (yet) I also think it's the best way as it's
already used by macports.

If it would be possible to directly integrate it into the macports base, so
that every client can just run a buildfarm then it would be perfect. But even
a second application is fine.

The server could be implemented in PHP and distribute the builds to the
clients. So nobody does work multiple times. With this it would also possible
for everyone to help the macports project with just donating some of his/her
cpu cycles to build/test some applications.

What do you think?

Simon
--
+ privacy is necessary