[30721] use_parallel_build / portfile-phase.7.xml

Weissmann Markus mww at macports.org
Mon Nov 5 14:04:08 PST 2007

I've just added a way to automatically set the number of build jobs
(if desired):
If the number of build jobs is set to "0" (in the config file), the
number of jobs is set to the number of cores.

This works only on Mac OS X (and FreeBSD -- though untested).

-Markus

On 05.11.2007, at 20:32, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2007, at 2:30 PM, markd at macports.org wrote:
>> Perhaps I was influenced by my recollections that some ports stop
>> installing outside of the build phase until another port is finished
>> installing.  At least I think I've seen this.
>
> you have.
>
>> If that is so and a ports
>> hangs at activate or another phase until another port completes,
>> it seems
>> like parallel building still wouldn't get parallel installs.
>

> This option is not really related to that behavior.
>
> It just allows a port to say that it can be built with make -j
> (which can speed up builds on multi-core or multi-cpu systems).
> --
> Daniel J. Luke
> |   Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily   |
> |          reflect the opinions of my employer.          |

---
Markus W. Weissmann
http://www.mweissmann.de/