Is there a license on patches

Emmanuel Hainry milosh at macports.org
Thu Nov 8 08:58:14 PST 2007

Dear list,

		For a port I maintain (namely rubber), there are some patches
that upstream has not yet included and are provided by the maintainer of
the port for pkgsrc. They are now in macports repository and I wonder
which license if any is applied to patches (as Trac.macports.org tells
people that what they put here is automatically under the Apache or BSD
License). Is there a way to credit the author of a patch and to cite the
license they may be under?

	This problem (but is it a problem?) is, I think, not a rare thing:
the work of preparing a program to be part of a ports project is very
similar between pkgsrc, openBSD, freeBSD and macports (maybe gentoo and
other linux source based packages too) and hence reusing patches from
others is highly probable.

Emmanuel