Is there a license on patches

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Fri Nov 9 15:16:31 PST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007, at 08:58, Emmanuel Hainry wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> 		For a port I maintain (namely rubber), there are some patches
> that upstream has not yet included and are provided by the
> maintainer of
> the port for pkgsrc. They are now in macports repository and I wonder
> which license if any is applied to patches (as Trac.macports.org tells
> people that what they put here is automatically under the Apache or
> BSD
> License). Is there a way to credit the author of a patch and to
> cite the
> license they may be under?
>
> 	This problem (but is it a problem?) is, I think, not a rare thing:
> the work of preparing a program to be part of a ports project is very
> similar between pkgsrc, openBSD, freeBSD and macports (maybe gentoo
> and
> other linux source based packages too) and hence reusing patches from
> others is highly probable.

For what it's worth, it's my assumption that any patches I write are
licensed
under the same license as the project. I also do not claim copyright
unless
the patch is a substantial piece of work.

I'd assume this is the general rule, as anything else can quickly run
into
license complications.

-landonf