Is there a license on patches

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Mon Nov 12 10:36:44 PST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007, at 5:22 AM, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
>
>> 	But I don't know if we could go as far as requesting/enforcing
>> that submitted patches be under the BSD license.
>
> A lot of the current *port* patches are under different licenses
> (such as the GPL license), so that would not be really doable
> without first checking all the patchfiles and ports.
>
> Requesting that patches to *base* is under the same BSD license as
> the MP code is perfectly good and normal, though. Patches to ports
> are assumed to be under some Unknown license:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/7493

	Thanks for the link to that ticket Anders, most useful!

	And yes, I meant patches against base when I asked about a way to
enforce/require a particular license for submitted patches. It would
be great to know if it's suitable to ask that, and if so how we can
make it clear (ideally the HACKING file for the time being). Anyone
care to advise on the proper wording?

	Hint, the HACKING file already has this:

* A copyright notice attributed to our group name, "The MacPorts
Project", should also be added to these source files (if not already
there) if they're
   being uploaded to the "base" component of our repository, since as
such they are being contributed to the project.

	Regards,...

-jmpp