[31016] trunk/dports/python

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Tue Nov 13 17:28:47 PST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007, at 7:28 PM, Blair Zajac wrote:

> We need a Subversion training blog and a quiz for svn users before
> we give out commit rights.

	An svn tutorial covering things like the issue raised here (which
Ryan has been kind enough to remind us of over and over), please! A
quiz... eeehhh.... hhhmmm.... I don't think I'm too comfortable with
that idea; at this point we're interested in growing our contributor
base and potential deterrents like a quiz are not gonna help us
achieve that goal. But rest easy, I'm not talking about deliberately
lowering the skill level that we require for membership for the sole
sake of quantity over quality, but rather advocating that we provide
newcomers with the material they need to fill in whatever gaps they
might have... like an svn tutorial ;-) (a solid guide with a Portfile
writing tutorial and Q&A is another example of what we should provide
-- already underway thanks mostly to Mark, Simon and Maun Suang)

> Also, are all committers on the dev mailing list?  Are we certain
> that doing a reply to a commit is seen by the author?

	We require all our members to subscribe to both the developers and
changes list (and users, but that's orthogonal to this point), but
unfortunately this thread made me realize I haven't been explicit
about that requirement lately when welcoming new members. Thanks for
the reminder, I'll re-add it to the list of TODOs I send to approved
applicants.

	In any case, we could easily send out a mail to *all* members asking
them to confirm if they're subscribed to these two lists, should we
ever need to (http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/wiki/MacPortsDevelopers
  -- and I could also get their real addresses, what their macports
handles forward to, if really needed).

> Can we have the post-commit mailer use the committer's username as
> the From field, so that if somebody does a Reply-All, they'll get
> two emails, assuming they are on the dev mailing list?

	Having changes posted as $username at macports.org rather than the
generic "source_changes at macosforge.org" is a request I already made,
but it was dependent on the migration of the svn server to new
hardware. That was completed just yesterday, so luckily we'll now be
able to move forward with the former and other {pre,post}-commit hooks
that I've requested over time (svn props validation, yay!)

> Blair

	Regards,...

-jmpp