darwin_8 variants on Darwin 9 / Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 14 20:06:13 PST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007, at 10:31 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> So, we have people who had MacPorts installed in Tiger, on which
> MacPorts selected the darwin_8 variant. And then they upgraded to
> Leopard and retained their MacPorts installation. Now they've got
> Leopard, but their installed ports still say darwin_8. Further, when
> they go to upgrade these ports at some later point, MacPorts still
> tries to use the darwin_8 variant. Surely this is bad.
>
> What are users expected to do when upgrading the OS major version?
> Are they expected to throw out their MacPorts install and start
> over? That would be inconvenient. I'm recommending people uninstall
> all ports that have darwin_8 variants and reinstall them. That's
> inconvenient too.
>
> What can we do to improve this situation?

Hi Ryan
Not only that: if the upgrade has a darwin_9 variant defined in
Portfile, you windup with
portname+darwin_8+darwin_9 installed.

And another consideration is this: tonight I was going through and
uninstalling and reinstalling ports I had with this double darwin. I
started with postgresql82.  After I uninstalled,I find postgresql82
fails to install under Leopard.  Consulting Trac I find a manual
workaround but! :(

Perhaps when telling Leopard users to uninstall all there +darwin_8
ports we should also provide a list of what is known not to work
+darwin_9.
In my own case Ill just search Trac each time but dont know if all end-
users would be happy about doing that.
regards

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet