err.h problem when running selfupdate

Jeff jeff at j-k.net
Sat Nov 17 22:39:13 PST 2007

installed MacPorts-1.5.0-10.5.dmg on an Intel Mac Mini running OS X
10.5.1, then ran "sudo port -d selfupdate" and got the following part-
way thru the configuring:
checking err.h usability... no
checking err.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: err.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: err.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: err.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: err.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: err.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: err.h: in the future, the compiler will take
precedence
configure: WARNING:     ##
------------------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to macports-dev at lists.macosforge.org
  ##
configure: WARNING:     ##
------------------------------------------------ ##
checking for err.h... yes

as well as this near the bottom of the process:
In file included from xinstall.c:58:
/usr/include/err.h:309: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/err.h:312: error: syntax error before '*' token
make[2]: *** [xinstall.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

What can I do about that?  Looking online I see suggestions related to
the configure.ac file, however if I update that and re-run the
selfupdate command the file just gets overwritten!

Any suggestions?

- Jeff