New Maintainer Information

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Mon Nov 19 12:00:06 PST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007, at 2:44 PM, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> I just got an e-mail from someone interested in helping out with
> MacPorts.  I checked through the web page looking for a quick link
> to information for a wanna-be maintainer, but could not find much!

	Our revamped documentation is progressing at a rather slow pace,
unfortunately, but I am hopeful much of this confusion will be cleared
out once we publish it.

> * There is a "New Committer's Guide" (http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/NewCommittersGuide
> ), but this seems aimed at people who are already maintainers.

	Mark, it would be great if we could move this type of document to the
guide if not already there. The Wiki should be trimmed down only to
HOWTOs, FAQs and topic specific tutorials (like setting up the
traditional MySQL + PHP + Apache combo with MacPorts), but "formal"
documentation such as this should exist on the WIki only in the form
of links to the guide.

> * There is some interesting text in "http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/www/contact.php?rev=30359
> ", but this does not seem to be on the web anyplace.

	Brent, that's what will become our new site once 1.6 is released, and
it's currently available  in "beta form" at my server http://apollo.homeunix.net/macports
  (note that index.php is still in need of some serious love!); feel
free to direct anyone to it. With respect to inquiring about becoming
a project member, the "Administrative Contacts" section in "Contact
Us" points you to http://geeklair.net/new_macports_guide/#project.membership
  in our new guide, which will be the authoritative source of
information on that regard (though at the moment I agree it could be
expanded).

	Regards,...

-jmpp