New website done!

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 26 04:03:28 PST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007, at 6:45 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2007-11-23 17:32:01 -0400, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
>> 	In any case, I've been playing with X11 on Leopard lately but
>> haven't
>> been able to experience this functionality, if I unset the DISPLAY
>> variable I simply can't open X11 programs from Terminal.app
>
> AFAIK, unsetting DISPLAY is an error if you want to use X clients,
> even Apple ones.
>
>> (even Apple provided ones under /usr/X11/bin); no launchd magic
>> happens and all I get are "can't find display" errors (even though I
>> do have a / tmp/launch-QLJ9Yh/\:0 sockect).
>
> because DISPLAY is unset. DISPLAY needs to contain the name of the
> socket in some form.
>
> --
> Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>
> 100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <http://www.vinc17.org/
> blog/>
> Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / Arenaire project (LIP, ENS-
> Lyon)

The system should set DISPLAY=/tmp/launch_bla_bla_bla . All you need
to do is
remove any DISPLAY=0.0 lines in your ~/.profile and ~/.xinitrc.  You
might even try renaming
~/.xinitrc to ~/.xinitrc.old
Do the above, quit X if it is running, then start some X app like
gedit.  X should start and then your app.
If you check the env you should see that the system has set DISPLAY
for you.

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X.5.1 Darwin 9.1.0