propchange - r31472 svn:log

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 27 05:50:10 PST 2007

Ok, so propchange emails are working! Great! Some suggestions though:

On Nov 27, 2007, at 06:53, jmpp at macports.org wrote:

> From: jmpp at macports.org
> Date: November 27, 2007 06:53:55 CST
> To: macports-changes at lists.macosforge.org
> Subject: propchange - r31472 svn:log
>
> Author: ryandesign at macports.org
> Revision: 31472
> Property Name: svn:log
>
> New Property Value:
>
>  * Rename "check_referer" function to "print_warnings" and move all
> of its contents into a new trunk/www/includes/warnings.inc file;
>  * Remove the warning about not being the official website out of
> trunk/www/includes/header.inc and put it into the new warnings.inc
> file.
>    With the 'if' conditional suggested by Ryan on the dev list,
> this warning should "just work" and disappear when the site is run
> from the
>    official web server, at which time we'll reword it to something
> different (from claiming we're a temporary installation to a mirror).

Remove the Author: line. Instead, make the propchange email come from
the author, instead of the original committer. Also, put the author's
address in the Reply-To, not the committer's.

Also, we need to see what the old property value was, not just what
the new value is. Ideally, it would be nice to see a Trac-style
colored diff of the changes, just like we have for the post-commit
emails. But the whole point of these mails is that if someone screws
up badly and obliterates a property, the old value of the property is
in the mail so anyone can repair it. Without this, there's no way to
repair it, unless someone magically knows what the property value
should be.

I looked into this before and couldn't find any way for svn-notify
(which we currently use for post-commit mails) to produce post-
revprop-change emails. We may wish to switch mail scripts entirely to
one that can support both types of mail.