Added support in MacPorts base to set PATH and MANPATH automatically in Leopard

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Nov 29 13:03:57 PST 2007

James Berry wrote:

> I think it's a question for the group in general: which is the best
> approach? The range of choices we have is basically to pick from the
> following menu:
>
> 	- Install a file into /etc/manpaths.d/
> 	- Install a file into /etc/paths.d/
> 	- Munge ~/.profile to munge MANPATH
> 	- Munge ~/.profile to munge PATH
>
> Note that for man to work on Leopard, we have to do either 1 or 3, at
> least, as Leopard now sets MANPATH, which means that the auto path
> stuff for man doesn't work.

I would prefer if there was a single script to be sourced* from e.g.
your .profile, that would set up both the PATH and MANPATH for
MacPorts... It's OK for the binary PKG/DMG installer to install it to
the user profile (currently a little broken, as it installs outside of
any given chroot).
But I don't want the install (as in: `make install`) to mess with
either of /etc/ or ~/.

--anders

* Yes, just like /sw/bin/init.sh and /sw/bin/init.csh from the Fink
project.