Added support in MacPorts base to set PATH and MANPATH automatically in Leopard

Kirk Kelsey kirk.kelsey at 0x4b.net
Thu Nov 29 17:12:30 PST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 7:43 PM, James Berry wrote:

> The /etc/[man]paths.d/macports approach is equivalent, and cleaner
> than hitting the /etc/[man]paths files. read path_helper(8).
>
> James

Equivalent in that they are both used by path_helper, but not in terms
of how. /etc/paths is processed before /etc/paths.d/macports and would
allow for /opt/local to be placed earlier in the environment variable.

If the concern is just to get port-installed software to be accessible
with minimal fuss, then I'd agree that a /etc/paths.d/macports file is
a great option, but being able to override the default software seems
like a really big plus.

Kirk