[31434] trunk/dports/x11/gtk2/Portfile

Weissmann Markus mww at macports.org
Fri Nov 30 03:07:40 PST 2007

On 30.11.2007, at 01:18, Boyd Waters wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2007, at 4:52 PM, Eric Hall wrote:
>
>> If there's a way to specify 'gtk2 +x11' I'm all for adding
>> that to the wireshark (and other) ports, I don't think there is yet
>> (and I'm happy to be corrected).
>

> The issue of specifying variants on deps is very very important to
> us here at NRAO, and I haven't figured out a way to do it yet.
>
> So if there's a way to do so, let me know how!
>

> Can't we just specify version and variant info in the depends list?
>
> example
>
> depends	gtk2+x11
>

> Alas this doesn't work as yet, but it would be the way to do it. It
> would also be nice to specify a version:
>

> depends gtk2 at 2.10.6+aqua

Depending on variants is a bad idea imho:
If A depends on B1 and C depends on B2 you get auto-trouble when
trying to install both A and C.
And there is no solution to get both installed and running - at all!
When depending on variants, we get unsolvable dependency chains.

If variant 1 and 2 of B are so important and so different, the best
solution is to create two ports (that can be installed simultaneously).
Either this or the default version of B should make both A and C happy.

If someone wants to work on this, I'd rather suggest implementing
port-inheritance, so that creating a "variant-port" is much easier
and less work to maintain.

Regards,

-Markus

---