Added support in MacPorts base to set PATH and MANPATH automatically in Leopard

Randall Wood randall.h.wood at alexandriasoftware.com
Fri Nov 30 09:11:15 PST 2007

On 11/30/07, Bjarne D Mathiesen <macintosh at mathiesen.info> wrote:

> How about this:
>
> mkdir -p /etc/paths.d
> mv -n /etc/paths /etc/paths.d/999macosx
> touch /etc/paths
> echo "${prefix}/bin" > /etc/paths.d/000macports
> echo "${prefix}/sbin" >> /etc/paths.d/000macports
> echo "/Developer/Tools" > /etc/paths.d/888developer
>
> mkdir -p /etc/manpaths.d
> mv -n /etc/manpaths /etc/manpaths.d/999macosx
> touch /etc/manpaths
> echo "${prefix}/share/man" > /etc/manpaths.d/000macports
>
> If the paths are loaded in alphabetical order, this ought to ensure that
> the macports paths are before the standard Mac OS X ones.
>
> You _do_ want the macport path to be before the standard paths as I
> guess you want to execute the alternative utilities provided by macports
> instaed of those from Mac OS X ;-)

I may only want that on a per-user basis, such that specific
system/user/test accounts do not get access to the macports-based tools (I
am aware of historical situations where Apple has made changes to software
that did not get back upstream and then the MacPorts-installed version does
not "just work" because it does not incorporate the Apple changes and see no
reason why this situation could not happen in the future), or where certain
accounts should not have access to the other-than-default setup (I'm testing
a product or some such situation).

I think that leaving the MacPorts path after the system path for all users,
and providing users with a tool to manipulate the path for their own
accounts is a prefered solution.

--
> Bjarne D Mathiesen
> København N ; Danmark ; Europa

Randall Wood
randall.h.wood at alexandriasoftware.com

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes. All the
rest is just philosophy."