Split Trunk

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Oct 3 02:37:34 PDT 2007

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> For MacPorts 1.6.0,
>
> I think you should split the "dports" trunk in two,
> "trunk" and "release", just as done with the "base".
> There is just too much port breakage with running the
> latest developer version on the user machines, IMHO.

That sounds like a good idea. But who decides at which time we merge
revisions from unstable to stable? And do we have enough resources (I
mean: contributors and testers) to find all problems? Would this really
help to find problems at all?

A good reason is, we could adopt new features from base in unstable
first and merge them to stable once a new base gets released. For
example, removing of "cd" from all ports. Or introduction of compiler.*.

But for this we need some place to track those changes and mark them for
a later merge. Where should we store which revisions are to be merged to
stable? And who will do the merging?

It sounds great, but are we ready to manage more than one ports tree?

Rainer