Split Trunk

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Wed Oct 3 03:05:07 PDT 2007

Rainer Müller wrote:

> A good reason is, we could adopt new features from base in unstable
> first and merge them to stable once a new base gets released. For
> example, removing of "cd" from all ports. Or introduction of
> compiler.*.

This was what I was thinking about, yes. Or when upgrading one port,
but "failing" to upgrade all of the dependencies in the first commit.

Or just to get a little "quarantine" in order to test new releases
and updated ports, before introducing them on production machines ?

> It sounds great, but are we ready to manage more than one ports tree?

Probably not, as there isn't enough resources maintaining even one tree.
I just think it would be a good idea, even if it moved really really
slow.

One could start out with a copy of the "archive", and then merge ports
one by one from the "trunk" - either manually or maybe just by timer...

--anders