Buildfarm try

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 14 20:32:20 PDT 2007

On Oct 14, 2007, at 17:00, Simon Ruderich wrote:

> I tried creating a small "buildfarm" using my MacBook Pro. I
> already have some
> results, but it's just a small test, so please be not too strict
> with it ;-)
>
> You can find the results here: http://ruderich.com/simon/macports/
> But the results are some days old, so it may be possible a port is
> already
> fixed. I'm sorry but at the moment I don't have any dates.
>
> It would be nice if some of you could use these results to fix
> broken ports.
> I separated fetch failures from build/other failures so they should
> be easy to
> fix.
>
> If you have any suggestions/improvements/bugs or questions please
> tell me.

Very interesting and useful! Some random comments:

I hope you will regenerate this occasionally, at least those that are
failing right now. How long did it take to generate that list?

It would help to know the date/time when you encountered each
failure, and/or the revision of the portfile that was used.

You may want to add a table of contents at the top so we can jump to
specific ports.

You may want to sort the ports in some way. It currently seems to be
somewhat alphabetical, but with other ports in between (maybe
dependencies?).

In build.html you have gnome-session, gedit, gnu-crypto, and gnustep-
base listed several times. Probably others as well.

I fixed iksemel's fetch failure. Note that you had iksemel listed
build.html. You have other fetch failures listed in build.html
(DarwinPortsStartup, cook, p5-email-address, etc.).

Lots of ports complaining about /opt-devel/bin/python2.4 being
missing. Aren't those ports in the python portgroup? Wonder what's
going on there.

Some of your failures are suspicious. For example:

php5 does not fail under normal circumstances, so I'd like to know
how your build farm is operating.

You report a gettext/libintl build failure for grep that I am unable
to reproduce. The portfile includes the --disable-nls flag so I
cannot imagine why it would be trying to link against gettext/libintl.

The reported build failure for ufraw ("Image error: /opt-devel/bin/
dcraw is being used by the active dcraw port") is curious since ufraw
does not depend on dcraw (not even indirectly). Why was dcraw
installed? I would think a build farm would need to build each port
in a clean system.