gnu livecheck problem?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 16 11:01:49 PDT 2007

So I'm running MacPorts from trunk and I see that a gnu livecheck
option was added. But the livecheck on two of my ports seems to have
broken as a result.

First libiconv:

$ sudo port -dv livecheck libiconv
DEBUG: Found port in file:///Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/textproc/
libiconv
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/
textproc/libiconv
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port libiconv.
DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port libiconv.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port libiconv.
DEBUG: Executing variant darwin_8 provides darwin_8
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.main (libiconv)
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.livecheck (libiconv)
DEBUG: Portfile modification date is Tue Sep 11 19:22:28 CDT 2007
DEBUG: Port (livecheck) version is 1.11
DEBUG: Fetching http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/:gnu/?C=M&O=D
Error: cannot check if libiconv was updated (HTTP response code said
error)
libiconv seems to be up to date
$

"http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/:gnu/?C=M&O=D" is clearly wrong. libiconv
downloads from gnu, but it's specified this way:

homepage            http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/
master_sites \
	gnu::gnu \
	http://www2d.biglobe.ne.jp/~msyk/software/libiconv/:cp932fix

If I change the download location to:

master_sites \
	gnu:${name}:gnu \
	http://www2d.biglobe.ne.jp/~msyk/software/libiconv/:cp932fix

Then the livecheck says:

$ sudo port -dv livecheck
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/
textproc/libiconv
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port libiconv.
DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port libiconv.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port libiconv.
DEBUG: Executing variant darwin_8 provides darwin_8
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/
textproc/libiconv
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port libiconv.
DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port libiconv.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port libiconv.
DEBUG: Executing variant darwin_8 provides darwin_8
Portfile changed since last build; discarding previous state.
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.main (libiconv)
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.livecheck (libiconv)
DEBUG: Portfile modification date is Tue Oct 16 12:49:56 CDT 2007
DEBUG: Port (livecheck) version is 1.11
DEBUG: Fetching http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libiconv:gnu/?C=M&O=D
Error: cannot check if libiconv was updated (HTTP response code said
error)
libiconv seems to be up to date
$

As you can see, it still hasn't got the right project name.

I fixed it by adding "livecheck.name ${name}" but that should have
been the default, shouldn't it?

Next problem is freetype:

$ sudo port -dv livecheck freetype
DEBUG: Found port in file:///Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/print/
freetype
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/
print/freetype
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port freetype.
DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port freetype.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port freetype.
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.main (freetype)
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.livecheck (freetype)
DEBUG: Portfile modification date is Thu Jul 05 16:55:44 CDT 2007
DEBUG: Port (livecheck) version is 2.3.5
DEBUG: Fetching http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/freetype/?C=M&O=D
Error: cannot check if freetype was updated (HTTP response code said
error)
freetype seems to be up to date
$

Here's what the portfile says:

homepage            http://freetype.sourceforge.net/
master_sites \
	http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freetype/ \
	sourceforge

Freetype never used to check the GNU web site for its livecheck info.
Why did it start doing so? Just because the first master site
contains "gnu"? I fixed it by adding "livecheck.check sourceforge"
but I wonder how many other ports are affected by this.