Buildfarm try

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 17 23:27:07 PDT 2007

On Oct 18, 2007, at 01:16, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Randall Wood wrote:
>
>>> I like the idea of a server part in php as it's easy to code and
>>> maintain. For
>>> the client I would prefer ruby, because it's installed on each
>>> mac and is very
>>> powerful in parsing the port output and also easy to read.
>>> But that's a detail we can work out later.
>>
>> BTW, I use the built-in php that comes with OS X for scripting
>> myself...
>>
>> I would go for python since (cool sexy feature in 10.5) XCode 3
>> knows what it is, Apples supports Cocoa in Python (if I read it
>> correctly) and it has shipped with OS X in one form or another for
>> a while.
>
> Why not Tcl ? (apart from the total lack of sex appeal, that is)

Right. I don't know Ruby or Python and am not planning on learning
them at this point. Would be unfortunate to introduce yet another
language one has to learn to contribute to MacPorts. IMHO PHP would
be ok, since we already use that for the web site. But my opinion may
be influenced by the fact that I already know PHP very well and
already use it for web sites and command-line scripts. But Tcl would
also be a good choice given the rest of the project's source.