[30149] trunk/dports/gnome/gnome-doc-utils

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 21 14:28:12 PDT 2007

On Oct 21, 2007, at 13:38, N_Ox wrote:

> Le 21 oct. 07 à 20:15, source_changes at macosforge.org a écrit :
>
>> Revision 30149 Author rhwood at macports.org Date 2007-10-21 11:15:29
>> -0700 (Sun, 21 Oct 2007) Log MessageAdd a patch to xml2po that,
>> against all reason, seems to work. Bump the revision number so
>> everyone gets it.
>
> Shouldn't the patch be renamed "patch-xml2po_xml2po.py"?
> http://geeklair.net/new_macports_guide/#development.patches.source

It should be called "patch-xml2po_xml2po.py.diff". The guide should
be updated to recommend this style.

I object to naming patchfiles with the original file's extension. The
file "patch-xml2po_xml2po.py" is *NOT* a Python file! It is a
difference of two Python files. Editors attempting to perform source
code highlighting based on the file extension will do so incorrectly
for files which are in fact diffs. Call the file what it is. Put
".diff" at the end.

The old guide was contradictory, as it recommended one way in one
place and the other way in another place. Let's please standardize on
the format "patch-FOO.diff". According to "find . -name 'patch-
*.diff' | wc -l" we already have hundreds of patchfiles following
this convention.