emacs top-level category

Weissmann Markus mww at macports.org
Mon Oct 22 00:50:15 PDT 2007

On 22.10.2007, at 08:51, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2007, at 3:29 PM, Weissmann Markus wrote:
>
>> On 21.10.2007, at 17:51, N_Ox wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Following r30144 and r30145, can i create a top-level emacs
>>> category?
>>> I think I'm going to add some more emacs packages, i don't want
>>> to pollute the editors category.
>>>

>> I think it would be nice to prefix the emacs packages with
>> "emacs-" (like the ruby/perl/python/.. ports);
>> if this is suitable, a separate top-level category would be
>> unnecessary imho.
>>

> 	We name-prefix some of our ports with well-known strings (e.g. p5-
> * for perl modules) and still have top-level categories for them
> (e.g., hhmmm, perl/ for perl modules ;-). I'd favor the emacs
> category (and no, it aint 'cause I'm an emacs user! :-P)

...and it is not because I'm a vi-user that I may remark that the
perl-category has over 500 ports while the editors-category currently
has ~40; I'd say a top-level category shouldn't be introduced for
every tiny new set of ports. I have no idea how many emacs-ports
there would be, but if they are not exceeding ~30, I'd say put them
in the anyway rather empty editors-category.

-Markus

---
Markus W. Weissmann
http://www.mweissmann.de/