python25 framework build

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Oct 23 06:10:57 PDT 2007

Isak Johnsson wrote:
> Dear Mac-Flossers!
>
> This is how I got a framework build of python25. It's a strange fix, but
> I don't know how to do it better. Anyhow, I hope it can provide some
> information so we can get a smooth framework into the portfile. Also, I
> wish to thank you all MacPorts workers for your great contributions.
>
> Rationale: framework is needed for ipython+matlotlib+wxagg and GNU
> Radio. I want the MacPorts python package rather than a manual install,
> because I use so many other packages depending on it.
>
> Not sure if --enable-toolbox-glue without --enable-framework would
> satisfy wxpython, but reading some mail about pythonw, everyone mentions
> the framework builds.

> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12817
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2007-October/002998.html
>
> In the python25 portfile, add this:
>
> variant framework {
>     configure.args-delete --disable-framework
>     configure.args-append --enable-framework=${prefix}/Library/Frameworks
>     configure.args-append --enable-toolbox-glue
>     patchfiles-delete patch-configure
>     patchfiles-delete patch-Makefile.pre.in
> }
>
> ...and remove this (they will be built with 2.5 as filename suffix):
>
> foreach bin {idle pydoc smtpd.py} {
>     move ${destroot}${prefix}/bin/${bin} \
>          ${destroot}${prefix}/bin/${bin}${branche}
> }

Did you have a framework build of Python 2.4 installed at the same time?

The framework build of Python 2.5 should allow a framework build of Python 2.4
to be also present on the system and allow Python 2.4 packages to be compiled
and installed.

I believe this file will cause an issue as the Current symlink can only point to
one version at a time.

$ ls -l /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 3 Jul 21 13:08
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current -> 2.4

Thanks,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.