startupitem.pidfile options

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Thu Oct 25 15:37:09 PDT 2007

On Oct 25, 2007, at 3:07 PM, markd at macports.org wrote:

> exec = manual?  The man page (and new docs) use "manual".  And I don't
> understand under which circumstances this option is likely to work.  I
> suppose if remembering pids could be done in all circumstances, we
> wouldn't need pidfiles at all.

I guess I didn't answer your second question. If the process that
daemondo is starting is going to stay executing, and is the process
you want to monitor, then "manual" will work. ("manual" because
daemondo is going to manually create/destroy the pidfile). Note that
this option is really only needed if you somewhat gratuitously want a
pidfile, as it implies that startupitem.executable has been/could be
specified. If you don't really need a pid file for your own enjoyment
in this case, just specify startupitem.executable, and daemondo will
take care of the pid for you, without needing a pidfile at all).

James