passing params to startupitem.executable / portfile.7

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Mon Oct 29 08:37:57 PDT 2007

Weissmann Markus <mww at macports.org> writes:

>>> I guess I'm open to this. I'd love to hear comment from others,
>>> however, And would there still be a portfile.7 manpage that gave
>>> general overview and gets people started?
>>
>> Yes, I think there still should still be a portfile.7.  I've
>> started to
>> split them jus tto see how it would look.  It is an experiment at this
>> point and hopefully soon I'll have something that people can look
>> at and
>> give judgement on.
>>

>Pretty neat! I think this is a very good idea -- especially since the
>XML formatting takes a lot of extra-space anyway. Good job! :)

Good to hear the idea has some support.  As far as the XML formatting, it
has proved to be difficult to to get man pages from them that are
formatted well, and I'm not sure they are formatted all that well now.  I
was surprised at the difficulties we've run into, and I see why most
people still use troff.  But I do think that having a single source for
the man pages and docs and the resulting accuracy and ease of keeping
updated docs trumps any of the difficulties.  That's my view anyway.

Mark