Speed up build phase with "make -j"

Weissmann Markus mww at macports.org
Tue Oct 30 04:38:54 PDT 2007

On 30.10.2007, at 12:13, Anders F Björklund wrote:

>> I'd rather encourage a mechanism for port that provides a
>> mechanism for port authors to know how many processors there are
>> and to enable parallel builds if they know this to work.
>> Perhaps a switch "use_parallel_build [yes|no]" that will add "-j
>> 2*CPUS" to build.args.
>
> There's a bunch of other influences, such as number of cores and
> amount of RAM and whether the build is using some bloated language
> like C++ and many other considerations, for the -j parameter.
>
> So in the end I just made it an integer (build.jobs), and left the
> heuristics up to the user :-)
>
> --anders
>
> PS. There's also a build.nice, if you want to go the other route
> (build slower, like in background)

Yes, but I meant this to be a per-Portfile choice so a maintainer can
mark his/her port as being able to build in parallel. Doing this with
the sledgehammer for all ports that use 'make' might be a bit too
much. ;)

For build.nice it might be cool++ to do change the nice level for port
(1) directly so all phases run with low priority, not just the build
phase.

-Markus

---
Markus W. Weissmann