Newbie Port Creator Questions

Jonathan Strine jstrine at vexate.net
Sun Sep 2 13:35:35 PDT 2007

All,

I am working on creating ports for a few applications.  I have
created and submitted my first one just yesterday (libelf-0.8.9).  I
am now working on my second (dynamips-0.2.7), but have a few
questions I'm hoping someone can answer (not all relating to just
dynamips-0.2.7).

1)  I have successfully created a variant of dynamips using pcap.
The process was rather simple.  However, I am debating the creation
of a third variant.  A third party developer has created a source
code patch that extends a certain function of dynamips in a useful
way.  Is it appropriate to include such a third party modification as
a variant to a port?

2)  In the case above, the third party patch file is written to be
applied from the directory above the source code (I think this would
be called the work directory) and not from inside the dynamips-0.2.7
directory created when the tarball is extracted.  The best I can
figure is that the patching phase does apply the patch while in this
source directory (dynamips-0.2.7) and not from the work directory.
It is possible to make it apply the patch from the work directory so
that I do not have to modify the third party patch file for this
variant?

3)  The third party patch is licensed under the GPLv2 license.  Are
there any general concerns that I should worry about in either case
where I use the patch file as is or in the case where I modify it?

4)  If I cannot patch from the work directory, is it considered OK to
modify the third party patch file to support patching from inside the
dynamips-0.2.7 directory?

5)  What is the best practice to make sure that during all the steps
I am only referencing libraries and dependencies from the macports
system and not accidentally compiling against pre-installed system
libraries?  I have run "port -d install foo" and read through the
output, but I want to double check that I am not missing anything.

I realize the above questions may be somewhat basic, but I'm hoping
that armed with the answers I can make some valuable contributions to
the vast library of ports available.

Thanks!

--
Jonathan Strine