Newbie Port Creator Questions

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Mon Sep 3 06:59:50 PDT 2007

On 2007-09-03 00:27:44 +0200, Weissmann Markus wrote:
> The thing with GPLed code is, that it is viral, so everything you
> link against it (or mix with it) will get GPLed code, too. I'm not
> quite sure what if you do not own the original source (e.g. it is
> BSD licensed), but I assume that everyone will be happy as long as
> the viral effect of the GPL is kept and you distribute the source
> code along a binary.

AFAIK, the BSD license allows you to create a derived work that would
be distributed under the GPL. Owning the original source is necessary
only if you want to change the license in an incompatible manner (e.g.
you created a work which you distributed under the GPLv2 and you want
to distribute a future version under the GPLv3+).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>