Infrastructure requests

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Wed Sep 5 11:48:59 PDT 2007

On Sep 4, 2007, at 9:37 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
>> 	So please do feel free to brainstorm over what I listed on that
>> page and the tickets I linked, but also please do discuss here any
>> modifications you might want to make to it or new request tickets
>> you might want to submit.
>
> It probably makes sense to add portindex and guide generation tasks
> to that list (so they eventually migrate off of my server to a
> macports infrastructure server).

	The index regen job has been running on your box so smoothly ever
since that I completely forgot about it ;-) But yes, you are most
certainly right, we should definitely provide a more
"central"/"official" hosting for that job as another of our
infrastructure requirements.

	On a side note, I've been thinking about rewriting that script in
TCL to mimic some of the things I'm doing in PortIndex2MySQL.tcl.
simplify the MacPorts reinstallation process currently found in
PortIndexRegen.sh. The rewrite would also help us unify both jobs on
a single box: currently, PortIndexRegen.sh needs a ports tree off an
svn checkout while PortIndex2MySQL.tcl works with whatever is set in
sources.conf; by loading macports1.0 in a new PortIndexRegen.tcl
script and pointing sources.conf to a file:// based ports tree
(checked out of svn) we could easily use a single MacPorts
installation to do everything we currently need, which in my opinion
is a big win.

> I think the searchable ports page also belongs on the list.

	Yes, true, but as Ryan pointed out I'm handling that as part of the
website redesign and wont create any separate infrastructure requests
for it until we know for sure what we'll really need. At the moment
I'm hosting the MySQL database and refresh job locally, so in case
that's all we end up needing the request process will be much easier,
as there wont be anything else to figure out (as it is the case for
most of the existing requests, unfortunately).

> --
> Daniel J. Luke

	Regards,.... (and thanks again for hosting the index regen job so
successfully for all these years ;-)

-jmpp