port search

Mij mij at bitchx.it
Sat Sep 22 03:30:42 PDT 2007

On 21/set/07, at 18:31, N_Ox wrote:

> Le 21 sept. 07 à 12:34, Mij a écrit :

>>> Just use `port search description:fortran`.
>>
>> Automatically searching in the name AND description would be more
>> handy,
>> consistent with other package managers and intuitive.
>>
>> If one want to search the name alone, it can use "search name:"
>> instead.
>>
>> JM2C
>
> I don't find it consistent with other package managers (at least
> not Fink, Portage or pkgsrc)

Some examples doing so:
APT - the first and sometimes told the best -ever package manager
yum - redhat's one
ports
(I don't know more)

fink also does.

Besides all, it all depends to what you want to be inspired. Portage
is what most people
argue is the reason why the "Gentoo wave" weakened in favour to
Ubuntu. Pkgsrc has a
very restricted userbase so they probably haven't a strong feedback
about usability
topics.

> neither than more intuitive.

you usually prefer to issue one search, get a list of some results
that you walk and
ignore the ones you're not interested in, better than not finding
what you wanted to,
and need to issue another command to find the rest to be sure.

And, as if you're coming from one package manager you're most
probably coming
from one between APT, yum or ports, you could expect that the search
is in name AND
description, and give up when you see that searching for "editor" has
no results and
erroneously conclude that macports portbase is still poor.

Anyway, try to make a balanced comparison and take your choice.

bye