gcc42 fails to build with texinfo 4.11

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Sep 30 17:40:31 PDT 2007

Hi,

Since the texinfo port was updated to 4.11, gcc42 fails to build. This
is an upstream issue, I found some information here:

Error log:
| [...]
| Doing info in libiberty

/opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_Raim_Dev_macports_trunk_dports_lang_gcc42/work/gcc-4.2.1/missing
makeinfo --split-size=5000000 -I../../gcc-4.2.1/libiberty
../../gcc-4.2.1/libiberty/libiberty.texi
| WARNING: `makeinfo' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
|          you modified a `.texi' or `.texinfo' file, or any other file
|          indirectly affecting the aspect of the manual.  The spurious
|          call might also be the consequence of using a buggy `make' (AIX,
|          DU, IRIX).  You might want to install the `Texinfo' package or
|          the `GNU make' package.  Grab either from any GNU archive site.
| make[1]: *** [libiberty.info] Error 1
| make: *** [info-libiberty] Error 1

What should we do about this issue? Wait for 4.2.2 where this seems to
get fixed? Downgrade texinfo to 4.9 and hold back the upgrade? Or patch
the configure/build scripts to accept the new version?

This may affect other ports, too.

Rainer