variants / sub-packages

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 2 04:12:29 PDT 2008

On Apr 1, 2008, at 03:40, Robert Hinn wrote:

> I was wondering: seeing some ports called *-devel in the list, does
> MacPorts offer a sub-package mechanism? I haven't found anything in
> the guide, so I considered using variants as a proper way to handle
> optional features in a software which I would otherwise build a sub-
> package for.

Anders already explained what *-devel ports are in MacPorts, that we
don't have sub-packages, and that variants are the correct place to
implement optional features in a port. I just wanted to add that
there is already a request to document *-devel ports in the Guide:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/14540

See that ticket for more about *-devel ports if interested.