[MacPorts] #14901: firefox-x11 does not provide file-selection browsers (fwd)

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sat Apr 19 02:35:28 PDT 2008

Stefan Bruda wrote:

>> So it needs to be patched (heavilly) first, there are some attempts
>> at this in mozilla/seamonkey/firefox/thunderbird/sunbird.
>
> How does one get hold of them?  I would be interested in trying them
> out and maybe (if I can) change them for the better.

The obsolete Mozilla 1.7.x versions live in port "mozilla",
while new SeaMonkey 1.1.x versions are in port "seamonkey".
(the community project that took over the development of the
internet suite when Mozilla Foundation stopped, back in 2005)

For the various projects from Mozilla Foundation, they are
in "firefox-x11" and "thunderbird-x11" and "sunbird-x11"...
(implying that there could be Carbon variants some day, but
for now the official mozilla.com binaries are used instead)

The patches for mozilla/seamonkey has been ported from Fink,
which has had a working installation of both for a long time.
Interest in these X11 applications have faded in MacPorts,
since the old DarwinPorts days when there was no Safari etc.

The main reason I resurrected the ports was so that there
could be a web browser and mail/news client for Xfce 4.4.
Usually it uses Mozilla Firefox® and Mozilla Thunderbird™,
SeaMonkey® or even Iceweasel/Icedove/Iceape are also used.

If someone wants to maintain firefox / thunderbird in MacPorts,
that would be great. All Mozilla ports need some major cleanup.

--anders

PS.
I tried a few selected patches / workarounds, but haven't
seen the file dialog yet so likely it needs to be redone.