Atomic portindex

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 5 23:04:04 PDT 2008

I sometimes have to rebuild the PortIndex locally for testing, and
since it takes minutes to do that, I might want to install some port
while portindex is running. But this usually doesn't work because the
port I want to install usually has dependencies, and the portindex
script might not yet have gotten around to adding that port to the
new PortIndex.

I think it would be nice for the portindex script to use a temporary
file for the new index, and only move it over the existing PortIndex
file when it's all through. Can anyone think of a reason why that
wouldn't work or wouldn't be desirable?