Meaning of "Not a directory"

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Aug 7 14:17:22 PDT 2008

Joshua Root wrote:
> Was a ticket ever filed for this? I gather that the problem is that
> activation doesn't follow directory symlinks - I wonder if making it do
> so would break anything?

Symlinks are owned by a specific port, directories are not.

So if we follow the symlinks, stuff will end up at places it was not
meant to be. If the port owning the symlink is deactivated/uninstalled,
other ports could break as they are probably expecting stuff under the
symlink.

This wouldn't be a good idea. But we could need a better error message
than what we currently have.

Rainer