Beta Release

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Tue Aug 12 05:19:31 PDT 2008

Paul Magrath wrote:

> Seems to have a path bug, "port build" returned an error due to
> /Users/afb/.macports/Users/afb/.macports/ being used for extract ?
> Fetch seems to be using another recursion through the loop, at:
> /Users/afb/.macports/Users/afb/.macports/Users/afb/.macports/...
>
> I'm having difficulty reproducing that bug. Would you mind sending
> me more details of how exactly you did it?
>
> I've done this just now and it has worked fine on my machine:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/Users/paul/.macports --with-no-root-privileges
> make install
> cd ~/.macports/bin
> ./port build cowsay

I did something like this:

./configure --prefix=/Users/afb/.macports --with-no-root-privileges
make
make test
make install
# enabled archivemode and disabled autoclean in macports.conf, as usual
# untarred a fresh tree from http://www.macports.org/files/ports.tar.gz
~/.macports/bin/port archive zip
~/.macports/bin/port archive gzip

Something that I found to be strange was why I would want to install
MacPorts into the config directory of ~/.macports (next to history),
and this is probably aggrevated by being hidden from Finder et. al ?
(At least /opt/local is not hidden, while /usr/local normally is.)

> So when installing to your home directory, "/Users/you/" will
> be hardcoded in the binaries and in any archives/packages made ?
>
> Yes. However, I'd recommend you use the default /opt install
> location if you were planning on distributing binaries/archives/
> packages.

Sounds like a good recommendation, although it is /opt/local... :-)
A common misunderstanding is that ${prefix} is /opt, which is wrong.

> Unless you use --with-shared-directory and --with-install-group
> to use an common (hardcoded) path accessible to all, is that it ?
>
> That is an alternative, yes. However, you can use a normal "./
> configure" without any arguments and install in /opt and still get
> a lot of benefit from the work done in the branch on dropping
> privileges, etc.

I suspect the majority would install from either the disk image
constructed by the port, or from whatever "port selfupdate" does...

--anders