Beta Release

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Wed Aug 13 00:54:50 PDT 2008

Paul Magrath wrote:

>>> Yes. However, I'd recommend you use the default /opt install
>>> location if you were planning on distributing binaries/archives/
>>> packages.
>>
>> Sounds like a good recommendation, although it is /opt/local... :-)
>> A common misunderstanding is that ${prefix} is /opt, which is wrong.
>
> I was just using /opt as shorthand for /opt/local.

You mean just like "/usr" is a shorthand for "/usr/local" ? ;-)

I'm sure you know the difference, but sometimes the misunderstanding
is promoted to advise like "to uninstall MacPorts, wipe out /opt" -
which is bound to eventually take out some innocent bystanders too,
even if Apple doesn't install into there someone else might have...

--anders