MacPorts 1.7.0 without GSoC contributions

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Aug 14 04:49:17 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> We have 9 months of development on trunk since 1.6.0. It has several
> new features, not just bugfixes, so it seems big enough and different
> enough to warrant the 1.7.0 version number. Also, we have a bug in
> the 1.6.0 disk image installer whereby the .profile doesn't get
> created. Policy thus far has been to only create disk images for .0
> releases so 1.7.0 would be the first version that could fix that (not
> that I like this policy...).
>
> On Aug 14, 2008, at 05:15, Randall Wood wrote:
>
>> Why not call it 1.6.1 and branch 1.7.0 once the GSoC privileges code
>> is integrated? The Framework is (being) designed to ship as a port.

You can always cherry-pick stuff from trunk and call it "1.7.0",
and then go on developing anything remaining as "1_8" instead...
Unless there is some feature that would merit keeping with 1.6.x
and splitting base into 1.6.1 "stable" and 1.7.0 "unstable" now ?

Either way, it would need a new Release Manager to be appointed.
http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/portmgr/ReleaseProcess

Some other things that could be discussed would be Panther support
(Fink dropped 10.3 recently) and fixing some ports before archiving.
Like if the changes to Python and Ruby (maybe even Perl ?) should
happen before this release, or if they should go with the next one.

--anders