[39286] trunk/dports/databases/oracle-instantclient/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 15 17:34:02 PDT 2008

On Aug 15, 2008, at 18:08, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2008, at 6:43 PM, ryandesign at macports.org wrote:
>
>> +    # This is really awful. Oracle provides different version
>> numbers of the
>> +    # Instant Client library for PowerPC and Intel. You should
>> not change the
>> +    # version number of a port conditionally like this. But I
>> don't know how \
>> +    # else to handle this here. Hopefully Oracle will release a
>> new version \
>> +    # of the libraries with the same version number on both
>> PowerPC and Intel.
>
> An alternate way of handling this would be to make the oracle-
> instantclient port an empty port that just depends on either the
> PPC or intel version of the client (which you would make new ports
> for).

How do I handle upgrading from the current port to that? If oracle-
instantclient is changed to depend on oracle-instantclient-intel,
say, and oracle-instantclient-intel installs the files that are
currently installed by oracle-instantclient, then MacPorts will try
to install oracle-instantclient-intel first before uninstalling the
old oracle-instantclient and it'll have an activation error because
the files are still there.