[39458] trunk/doc-new/guide/xml/installing.xml

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Aug 21 23:45:01 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> I agree "as of this writing" isn't good without a date, and that I
>>> shouldn't have created the situation where we have to update the
>>> Guide with "latest" information about Xcode releases, even if they
>>> are infrequent. Instead, how about we list a minimum Xcode version?
>>> The minimum supported Xcode version for MacPorts is 3.0 on Leopard,
>>> 2.4 on Tiger and 1.5 on Panther, as seen in the MacPorts configure
>>> script:
>> I prefer to let the scripts do their job and warn the user
>> appropriately
>> without duplicating the script messages in the documentation.
>> Principal
>> #2.  :)
>
> The problem is that the script in which this is implemented is the
> configure script, which is not a script a user will encounter if
> installing MacPorts the usual way, from a dmg. Getting MacPorts to
> check the Xcode version during normal use is an as yet outstanding
> ticket.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12794

I suggested to use "selfupdate" to run the same version check
on Mac OS X and Xcode as configure does ? (and check the oil)
Doing it on every port operation would make it even slower
than what it is today, which doesn't sound very exciting...

This is part of a bigger problem that most of the messages
in MacPorts cater to developers only, and this along with
the need to install Developer Tools and build from source
instead of installing binaries makes the "threshold" higher.

--anders