openvpn2: "Cannot allocate TUN/TAP dev dynamically"

Uwe Schwartz usx303 at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 28 01:36:59 PDT 2008

Hi,

I would also like to see TUN/TAP drivers in MacPorts.
After a quick look on the Makefile in the git repository the Portfile should
contain:

use_configure    no
(because there is no configure)

I'm not sure where to put the kext files. If we put it in the usual
/Library/Extensions folder we need:

destroot.args    BASE=${destroot}
(the Makefile uses BASE instead of DESTDIR)

This would cause a mtree violation. Thus we need:
destroot.violate_mtree    yes

The next issues are the StartupItems. The Makefile provides an own way to
create the items, but we could also use MacPorts StartupItems.

At the end I would suggest to not include the drivers in openvpn port,
because there are also other tools which use TUN/TAP.

Regards,

Uwe