openvpn2: "Cannot allocate TUN/TAP dev dynamically"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 30 13:55:10 PDT 2008

On Aug 30, 2008, at 6:14 AM, Caspar Florian Ebeling wrote:

>>> The package wants to put the kexts into /Library/Extensions,
>>> which is
>>> /opt/local/Library/Extensions for us. That violates the mtree. Would
>>> /opt/local/lib/{tap|tun}.kext be an good place to keep them instead?
>>
>> /opt/local/Library/Extensions seems fine to me. /opt/local/Library is
>> already used by at least one other port (python24 uses
>> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework).
>
> Ok, then I just leave it there. And I think it's quite reasonable as
> well to put objects which are clearly Mac-only and not Unix in general
> into Mac locations.

That seems reasonable.

> Should that be mentioned in the guide as a possibility?

It seems obvious to me, such that no mention in the Guide should be
necessary.

Note that python24 does not (or at least will not, as of MacPorts
1.7.0) use /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework, or even $
{prefix}/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework, which is what you
probably meant. In MacPorts 1.7.0 we have a new variable $
{frameworks_dir}, so it will go in ${frameworks_dir}/
Python.framework. This brings up the question of whether we should
have a ${library_dir} variable, and base ${frameworks_dir} on that,
so that others can use ${library_dir} for less-usual purposes, like
kernel extensions.