1.7.0 beta: working great!

Jay Levitt lists-macports at shopwatch.org
Sun Dec 7 08:40:32 PST 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2008, at 20:24, Jay Levitt wrote:
>
>> I usually have all sorts of bad luck with the TCL environment bug,
>
> I'm sure everybody running MacPorts 1.6.0 on Leopard does.
>
>> dependencies, etc.
>
> What dependency problems do you mean?

I'm not entirely sure, because I hadn't been paying attention until the
1.7.0 train started rolling in.  I just have vague memories of "can't
install this thing".

>> I just did a port upgrade on all my outdated ports - about 8 or 9 of
>> them, including ImageMagick, which is known for never building easily -
>
> What ImageMagick build problems are you talking about? I'm not aware of
> any.

I used to build it from source all the time, and on every machine I ever
tried (whether Windows or Mac or Linux), there was some
not-quite-anticipated dependency on a system library that was the wrong
version but that autoconf thought was good, or something like that.. this
was a while ago.

Recently, I know I tried installing the latest ImageMagick with MacPorts
1.6.0 on a Mac that already had a previous version, and I remember an error
about having to manually deactivate the one port before activating the new
one - an error I didn't get when I upgraded with 1.7.0.

Jay