Moving MacPorts to the x.y.z version format internally for 1.7.1/1.8.0

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Sun Dec 7 12:12:34 PST 2008

	A while ago I did most of the needed work to move MacPorts to a more
standard version number formatting, that is x.y.z, both for its
internal workings (e.g. selfupdate) and for the UI. If I'm not
mistaken, most of that code has not been released to the public yet,
which is why the change can't just be pushed onto people in a single
release because of the way version numbers used to be compared
previously (simple mathematical comparison, through which, e.g., 1.610
 > 1.7.0). Once 1.7.0 is released, the code I wrote (in base/src/
macports/macports.tcl, proc macports::selfupdate) will be in people's
hands and a comparison between 1.700 Vs. 1.7.1 will work positively
either through rpm-vercomp or a simple forcing of the selfupdate.

	Therefore I propose MacPorts name its next release after 1.7.0
(1.700) either 1.7.1 or 1.8.0, but in any case in the more standard
x.y.z formatting. Attached is a patch to finish this work, which
should *NOT* be applied to the 1.7.0 (1.700) release. It's been quite
a while since I made the first round of changes, so there's a chance
this fresh patch is incomplete in some way (admittedly, I haven't
tested it yet). So please review and complete if needed.

	I'd appreciated it if release engineering considered this work for
inclusion in trunk/release_1_7, thanks!

	Regards,...

-jmpp