1.7.0 release candidate 1 available for testing

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Dec 7 12:40:04 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 04:31:53AM -0600, Ryan Schmidt said:
> On Dec 7, 2008, at 03:44, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
[...]
>> [1] - <http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/tags/
>> release_1_7_0-rc1>
>> [2] - <http://trac.macports.org/browser/users/blb>
>
> Thanks for taking the initiative with the 1.7.0 release here.
>

> Is there a reason we don't put the 1.7.0-rc1 files in the regular
> downloads directory?
>
> http://trac.macports.org/browser/downloads

I chose putting it in /users since it's not a final release, so I don't want
anyone seeing 1.7.0 under downloads and thinking otherwise; also, I've heard
MacUpdate has an automated method for detecting new versions and I don't
want it to pick up a release candidate and show it as the current version.

Note that from what I've found, DMGs have only been offered for final
releases in the past, so we have no policy about this.  So I would say now
is a good time to create one.

Bryan