64bit variant naming scheme

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Dec 8 15:17:29 PST 2008

Joshua Root wrote:

>> Also, what about ports where building 64bit is easier than
>> universal, if
>> there are such ports?
>
> Hang on, can configure.m64 be set in macports.conf?

Nope. (not yet)

> Overridden on the command line?

Sure. (try it)

> I thought it could be, and if not, then it should be.

But everyone just loves the fat stuff, so it's more likely
to start building things with configure.universal_archs=
"i386 x86_64" than to build "native" 64-bit ports with
something resembling a +m64 variant. At least until Snow ?

There was also the problem that just adding -m64 to CFLAGS
is not enough to build 64-bit ports... There's plenty of
things that like to guess settings from --host and friends,
giving you a 64-bit binary with 32-bit settings (= ouch).

Whichever approach is chosen, it probably needs some thought.
"# We could have m32/m64/march/mtune be global configurable at some
point."
Ditto for debugging builds, if anyone ever attempts those...
"# We could have debug/optimizations be global configurable at some
point."

There's some hacks in configure right now that started on
it, including crazy things like cross-compiling over SDKs,
but there is a lot to do before +universal and +m64 "work".
I think I had a plan a year ago, just forgot what it was...

--anders