path: dependency for files NOT in macports

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Thu Dec 11 14:40:16 PST 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 23:45, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2008, at 01:10, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>
>> Is there a way for me to do something like:
>>
>> path:lib/pkgconfig/x11.pc:xorg-libX11
>>
>> but have that dependency satisfied by /usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig/x11.pc ?
>
> If you want to depend on a particular pkgconfig file but don't care
> whether X11 or MacPorts provides it, we may need (I can't believe
> I'm saying this) a new pkgconfig:-style of dependency that searches
> the various pkgconfig directories.

but then what if we want to make sure there's some m4 macro
"somewhere" or some <insert new whoodigit> "module" somewhere... It
seems like it'd be good to have a fileinpathsomewhere: dependency that
takes a relative path and looks for that file in /, /usr/, $
{x11prefix}, ${prefix}, <insert other prefixes here... maybe /usr/
local, etc>

> Or perhaps you can instead depend on a binary or a library.

Well the problem is that "old" X11 didn't provide these pkgconfig
files, and we might want to check for them to make sure we have a "new
enough" X11 lib in some cases (I don't have a concrete example right
now, but I'm planning for that eventuality).